Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Senior Research Technician - Vegetable Breeding to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
To maintain all projects and timelines relevant in the vegetable breeding program.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Communicate tasks, results, priorities, concerns and suggestions with vegetable breeding staff by leading meetings
- Work with the Research Scientist to ensure the success of vegetable projects
- Design, set-up and maintain and delegate tasks for all greenhouse and field experiments
- Perform cross-hybridization on target plants in appropriate timelines
- Manage plant welfare and greenhouse conditions in collaboration with the greenhouse and farm staff
- Work with the Marker Lab Technician to ensure integration of molecular markers with the vegetable breeding program is used correctly, including correct tissue sampling and labeling of plants
- Book greenhouse space, order and maintain supplies and equipment for field, greenhouse and lab, and manage budgets provided by the Research Scientist
- Ensure seed material is accessioned and accounted for in organized, comprehensible manner
- Plan experimental designs using breeding software and report results to/for the vegetable breeding team
- Manage all germplasm, experiments, and data using breeding software
- Coach new and current staff in learning plant breeding skills, data management, excellent phenotyping and plant maintenance abilities
- Uphold and enforce strict safety rules and regulations for all of lab, field, greenhouse, farm and off-site locations with regularly updated SOPs, SDS and information sessions
- Extensive supervisory work is required including employee goal-setting, training and evaluation, and hiring/interviewing new staff
- Host meetings assessing successes/suggested improvements of the progress of the vegetable breeding projects periodically with employees and also farm crew members
- Ensure proper crop rotation, fertilization, weed and disease control is followed through with in all field trials
- Propose new ideas to improve the program as needed
- M.Sc. in plant breeding or related field; or B.Sc. with 10 years related experience
- Min. three years of experience working in plant breeding
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Statistical computing experience desired
- Fluency with Excel pivot tables, PowerPoint presentations and data presentation
- Excellent teamwork ability, with leadership inclinations
- Time management and project efficiency
- Hydroponics greenhouse experience and knowledge
- Field trialing of plant varieties including field set up, replication of plots, data taking, farm crew instruction and harvesting
- Ontario G license
- First Aid/CPR
This is a full-time permanent position to start as soon as possible.