Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for two Research Assistants - Applied Genomics to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Research Assistants will perform analytical testing of apples including titratable acidity, texture measurements, Brix, differential absorbance measurements and spectral imaging. They will work independently as well as on a team to ensure all tasks are completed in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy. Be able to perform repetitive tasks with a high level of concentration. Assist the apple breeding team with on-farm activities including apple harvesting, apple budding, movement of apples into and out of storage as needed.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development and implementation of analytical methods
- Perform analytical tests on apples (including spectral imaging, titratable acidity, texture measurements, Brix, etc.)
- Properly set up, operate and run all of the laboratory equipment
- Maintain a clean, orderly and safe work place
- Process, analyze and summarize data
- Conduct all activities and interactions in a respectful, positive and professional manner
- Perform all activities in a manner that is consistent with Vineland’s commitment to health, safety and wellness of all staff
- Assist at the research farm as needed (apple harvesting, apple budding, moving apple bins into storage, etc.)
- Completed university or college in related discipline
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills
- Experience working in laboratory
- Dynamic, energetic, motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Good time management, communication and priority setting abilities
- Work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks with a high level of concentration
- Computer literacy in Windows-based programs
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience working with plants or food products would be considered an asset
The term of appointment for this position is September 3, 2019 to December 20, 2019.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button.