Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Mechatronics Engineer, Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will support the design, development and testing of prototypes for various automated systems for crop harvesting operations. This hands-on position includes embedded programming, automatic control, robot programming as well as design and integration of grippers. The work will involve both lab and field testing.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Program microcontrollers (e.g., Arduino, STM32, Tiva, etc.) to control various sensors, actuators and other devices
- Design, assemble and test custom electronic circuitry and PCBs
- Develop algorithms for robotic manipulation
- Program and control SCARA and 6-DoF robots
- Integrate computer-vision outputs for hand-eye coordinated manipulation
- Support the design and development of custom end effectors
- Integrate different grippers with existing robots
- Support field testing of developed technologies
- Take part in system design review sessions
- Interact directly with other engineers and research scientists (Computer Vision and Decision Support Systems)
- Bachelor's degree in Mechatronics engineering, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering or Computer engineering
- A minimum of two years work experience in programming and controlling industrial robots
- Three to five years of experience programming in C/C++ and Python
- Understanding of various communication protocols (serial, TCP/IP, etc.)
- Familiar with ROS (Robotic Operating System)
- Experience with programming in Linux environment
- Vision-based robotic manipulation
- Integrating robotic solutions within industrial systems.
- Path planning
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Masters degree in Mechatronics engineering, Electrical engineering, Mechanical engineering or Computer engineering
- PLC programming and troubleshooting
- Programming microcontrollers
- Understanding of computer vision (OpenCV)
- Good knowledge of pneumatics, mechanical and electrical components
- Good understanding of HMI Design
- Experience in mechanical design
- Experience with 3D CAD software, preferably in Solidworks
- Understanding of power electronics, DC and AC motors, motor controllers, power conversion and power storage
- Experience in a research and development work environment
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team
This position is a three year contract starting as soon as possible until December 24, 2021