Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Mechatronics Engineer - Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by Growing Forward 2, a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will provide mechanical and electrical system development capability to the Robotics & Automation department especially as related to the mushroom harvesting project. It is a hands-on position including design, assembly and testing of mechanical and electrical components and systems.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Adapt, develop and test technologies related to the mushroom harvesting project
- Program embedded processors (e.g. Arduino, STM32, Tiva, etc.) for integration with various sensors, actuators and other components
- Design, assemble and test custom electronic circuitry and PCBs
- Assist with basic mechanical design and CAD for machining and 3D printing
- Create bill of materials for acquisition of necessary materials for developing equipment
- B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics
- A minimum of five plus years of related industry work experience
- Experience working in a research environment (academic or industry)
- Demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- Completed engineering projects
- Demonstrable programming ability in C/C++ and experience with Python and MATLAB programming, preferably in a Linux environment
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Masters’ degree preferred
- Experience with programming and installing PLCs
- Experience with programming industrial robots with the understanding of various communication protocols (serial, TCP/IP, etc.)
- Experience with computer vision specifically OpenCV
- Familiar with ROS (Robotic Operating System)
The term of appointment for this position is February 15, 2018 to February 14, 2019. Health and dental benefits are included.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button.