Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for an Electronics Engineering Technician to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Vineland is seeking a highly talented engineering technician to support the agricultural automation projects within the group. The Electronics Engineering Technician will support the design, prototyping, and testing of automated and robotic systems for application in the horticultural sector.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Working within a multidisciplinary team to develop novel robotic solutions that address unique engineering problems within the horticultural space
- Designing, developing, testing and integrating electrical systems for use in our robotic systems
- Designing and simulating electrical schematics with CAD software
- Designing and manufacturing custom PCBs based on existing electrical schematics
- Producing drawings for manufacturing
- Developing embedded code
- Designing experiments for testing and validating the performance of robotic systems in laboratory and operational environments
- Hands-on manufacturing and installation work related to the electrical systems
- Solving challenging technical problems
- Electronics or electrical engineering technology diploma (e.g. Ontario College Advanced Diploma (OCAD)), or equivalent)
- Authoring simple code in one of the following languages: C/C++, Python, or Java
- Interpreting electrical drawings and schematics
- Troubleshooting and debugging electrical circuits
- Designing, prototyping and testing custom electrical and electronic systems
- Designing and fabricating PCBs based on electrical schematics
- Proven soldering skills
- Knowledge of electronic instruments and devices (oscilloscope, DMM, function generator, logic analyzer, etc.)
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Over one year of industry related experience (inclusive of co-op terms)
- Rudimentary knowledge of robotic manipulators and end-effectors
- Experience with Android application development
- Demonstrated ability to work with Linux
- SMT PCB manufacturing
The term of appointment for this position is November 4, 2019 to October 30, 2020.
How to Apply:
Click on the Apply Now button.