Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Computer Vision Engineer to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by Growing Forward 2, a federal-provincial-territorial initiative.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
To develop image processing algorithms to support the Robotics & Automation department. This is a hands-on position involving the design and implementation of algorithms to control and calibrate imaging equipment (2-D, 3-D and thermal cameras) as well as the development of advanced image processing algorithms for object detection, classification and recognition.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and implement algorithms to control and calibrate industrial vision cameras
- Develop real-time algorithms that use vision data to support decision making
- Develop state-of-the-art computer vision algorithms for object detection, classification and recognition
- Prototype hardware and software solutions for detection, classification and recognition
- Develop robust software for integrating multiple vision sensors and tracking systems
- Collaborate in writing research papers and present results at seminars and conferences
- Take part in system design review sessions
- BSc in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Experience with vision and image acquisition systems
- Experience with 2-D and 3-D image processing algorithms
- Experience with imaging data collection, filtering and preparation
- Experience with thermal cameras
- Experience with programming and writing codes
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with interacting directly with a wide variety of individuals
- Experience with image processing in the agricultural field
- Experience with deep learning applied to imaging processing
- Experience with vision systems applications in robotics and automation
- Experience with working in a fast-paced team environment with minimal direction
- Experience with Linux
- MSc or MEng in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a related field would be an asset
The term of appointment for this position is March 5, 2018 to March 31, 2019.