Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Co-op Student - Mechatronics Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Vineland is seeking a highly talented engineering student to support the agricultural automation projects within our group. The student will be assisting the Robotics & Automation group in areas that are related to hardware and software integration and testing. The student will support activities related to mechanical design, prototyping (fabrication and assembly), embedded systems programming and software development. The work will also involve data recording and data collection for laboratory and on-farm testing.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the mechanical design activities (3-D modeling in SolidWorks)
- Support prototyping activities (electromechanical components selection, 3-D printing, fabrication and assembly work)
- Software development
- Embedded systems programming
- Programming of PLCs to control electric motors and other electronic devices
- Design and assembly of custom electronic circuitry and PCBs
- Support activities related to the maintenance and organization of the laboratory space
- Collect data for live crops using imaging sensors as well as other measuring instruments
- Filter and prepare collected data for statistical analysis
- Undergraduate college or university student: engineering
- Experience with SolidWorks
- Experience with 3-D printing
- Experience with fabrication and assembly work
- Experience with C, C++ and Matlab
- Experience with ARM and AVR based microcontrollers
- Experience with PLC (Allen Bradley)
- Experience with PCB’s
- Experience with the Arduino platform
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with robotics and automation
- Experience within a research and innovation environment
This is a four month contract starting April 29, 2019 to August 30, 2019.