Vineland Research and Innovation Centre (Vineland) is recruiting for a Automation System Integration Engineer, Robotics & Automation to work in an industry-driven research environment. Vineland is a world-class research centre dedicated to horticultural science and innovation. Located in Canada’s Niagara Region, Vineland’s mission is to deliver innovative products and production solutions that address the needs of the horticulture industry and advance Canada’s research and commercialization agenda. We are an independent, not-for-profit organization, funded in part by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership.
Our people are the most important asset in achieving our goals and are known in the world for excellence in science and entrepreneurship. Our staff enjoys an exciting and challenging work environment noted for collaboration and knowledge sharing.
Vineland welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Rising labour costs and lack of labour availability in the horticulture industry are promoting the need for automation. Such automation may be used for packaging, planting and conveying harvested fruit/floral/vegetables as well as monitoring their growing conditions. Automation for the horticulture industry commonly includes, as in other industries, sensors/sensor systems, controllers, actuators, robotics, electronics etc. However, there are some unique issues that distinguish the automation for horticulture from other applications. Among these issues are the delicateness of the produce, food safety regulations, handling of natural/irregularly shaped objects and the fact that automation is new to the industry so its acceptance by the growers is a challenge.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Survey the industry and visit potential users of horticultural automation (greenhouse vegetable, potted plant and tree-fruit growers/pack houses)
- Conduct technology opportunity/end-user needs assessments that will evaluate current workflows to determine where automation can be applied to effectively and reliably reduce costs and potentially improve productivity
- Calculate the related return on investment and assess technical and financial feasibility of the proposed automation
- Analyze the automation requirement and find the right technologies/partners that may deliver an automation solution which may be comprised of existing solutions on the market or new/custom designs as needed
- Once partners are found, define the project (requirements, milestones, deliverables etc.)
- Monitor the project from kickoff to delivery including budget, timelines etc.
- Apply for funding under different funding programs
- Engineering Graduate (required)
- At least one-year experience in project management
- Experience with designing, costing, implementing, operating and supporting automated system
- Designing shop-floor layouts and implementing in CAD
Additional Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities:
- Graduate of Industrial Engineering
- Project management certificate
- Certificate in lean manufacturing
- Knowledge and experience in lean manufacturing
- Experience in submitting grant proposals
- Proficiency in presenting project plans/results
- Applications or sales engineering
- Automated packaging and/or handling systems (food, consumer industries)
The term of appointment for this position is a one year contract.