Exciting news for Vineland with FedDev investment announcement
MP Vance Badawey, Niagara Centre and MP Chris Bittle, St. Catharines announced $5.76 million in FedDev Ontario funding for Vineland’s new Collaborative Greenhouse Technology Centre at a special event on June 3, 2016.
The Hon. Jeff Leal, Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and Alan Caslin, Niagara Regional Chair were also on hand to discuss the importance of this funding to economic growth in the horticulture sector.
“This funding will increase the capacity of Ontario’s emerging innovation strength in greenhouse horticulture technologies,” said Dr. Jim Brandle, CEO, Vineland Research and Innovation Centre. “Vineland’s new Collaborative Greenhouse Technology Centre is uniquely positioned at the junction of the greenhouse horticulture and advanced engineering sectors to drive growth and we are thankful for FedDev Ontario’s support to meet this challenge.”
With this funding, Vineland is developing:
- automated vegetable packing systems
- gripper tools for automated handling of horticultural products
- wireless irrigation sensing and decision making systems
- automated disease detection systems
- automated planting and potted plant packaging systems
- automation technologies to aid mushroom harvesting
Vineland’s Inside the Science
Vineland hosted an Inside the Science open house to mark the official opening of our pre-commercial greenhouse on June 3, 2016. The event was a success, welcoming more than 750 people throughout the day. Attendees toured Vineland’s Collaborative Greenhouse Technology Centre and viewed:
- a biocontrol demonstration
- a robotics simulation for greenhouse application
- a tomato display and sensory demonstration
Guests also enjoyed two signature hors d’oeuvres made with Vineland’s greenhouse Asian eggplant.
Vineland’s new greenhouse brings companies, industry and researchers together to foster collaboration and drive economic growth by bridging the gap between innovation and commercialization.
Below: pictures of the two grand opening events June 3, 2016.